Emory nurses, including 12 who support Winship Cancer Institute patients, have been selected as the winners of this year's Emory Healthcare Nursing Excellence Awards. The 130 award recipients were announced by the Emory Healthcare Nursing Recruitment and Retention Council during National Nurses Week, May 6-12.
Honorees were nominated by their peers in twelve categories that recognize their outstanding contributions to nursing practice, leadership, collaboration, and service.
"Winship is so fortunate to have such tremendous nursing talent across Emory Healthcare," said Lana K. Uhrig, PhD, MBA, RN, vice president of cancer nursing at Winship. "We are delighted to join in recognizing our oncology nursing colleagues and their dedication to providing outstanding patient care."
The 2021 Nursing Excellence Award winners include the following Winship team members:
- Transformational Clinical Leadership Award: Walter Chin
- Clinical Excellence in Practice Award: Ashley Kennedy
- Structural Empowerment Award: Jasmine Smith
- Outstanding Patient Advocate Award: Christopher Passarell
- New Knowledge, Innovation & Improvements: Karoline Fendley
- Clinical Unit Educator Excellence Award: Debrah Rigg
- Preceptor of the Year: Keisha Sandy
- Rookie of the Year (new graduate or new to specialty): Kallie Palmer
- Team Spirit Award (Individual Award): Georgina (Gina) Shannon
- Support Person of the Year (LPN): Shannon Franklin-Seay
- Support Person of the Year (MA): Lavern Hager
- Senior Manager of the Year: Erin Peone