Titles and Roles
- Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Radiation Oncologist
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Emory Proton Therapy Center
- Research Program
- Cancer Prevention and Control
James Bates, MD, is assistant professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Emory University School of Medicine. A board certified radiation oncologist, Dr. Bates specializes in the treatment of head and neck cancer, and lymphoma. He treats patients at Winship Cancer Institute at Emory Midtown and Emory Proton Therapy Center.
Dr. Bates received his Medical Degree with Distinction in Community Service from University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry in Rochester, New York where he also completed his internship in internal medicine. He completed his residency in radiation oncology at University of Florida Health/Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida.
Dr. Bates' areas of interest are head and neck cancer, late effects of cancer therapies, and lymphoma.
Below is a listing of current federal grants for the above principal investigator.
Dr. Bates has authored or co-authored over 30 research articles. He has been a reviewer for International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, and Physics, Practical Radiation Oncology, and American Journal of Clinical Oncology among others.
Publications Publication Date
Dr. Bates has received the following awards and honors:
- Society of Teaching Scholars Outstanding Resident Instructor Award, 2020
- Radiation Oncology Institute Publication Award – Honorable Mention, 2019
- Practical Radiation Oncology Reviewer Apprenticeship Program, 2018 – 2019
- ASTRO Resident Clinical/Basic Science Research Award, Clinical Category, 2017
Given for highest scoring clinical abstract by a resident at the ASTRO Annual Meeting
- Brigid Leventhal Merit Award (Conquer Cancer Foundation), 2017
Given for highest scoring abstract by a resident/fellow in pediatric oncology at ASCO Annual Meeting
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Summer Medical Fellow, 2012