Titles and Roles
- Associate Professor, Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Director, Quantitative BioImaging Laboratory (QBIL)
- Emory Center for Systems Imaging
- Research Program
- Discovery and Developmental Therapeutics
Baowei Fei, PhD, EngD, is a Georgia Research Alliance Distinguished Scientist and Director of the Quantitative BioImaging Laboratory at Emory University School of Medicine. He is a faculty member in the Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences and in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences at Emory University. He is also a program faculty member in the Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering at Emory University and Georgia Institute of Technology. In 2009, Dr. Fei joined the Emory Faculty after leaving Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, where he was in charge of the Multimodality Image Analysis Laboratory at the Case Center for Imaging Research.
Dr. Fei received both his PhD and MS from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.
Dr. Fei's research has emphasized applying multimodality molecular imaging (PET, MRI, ultrasound and optical imaging) for cancer research with a focus on prostate cancer. His current research projects include molecular image-directed biopsy, advanced computer algorithms for medical processing and analysis, technology development and applications of multimodality imaging, and image-guided focal therapy. In his laboratory, Dr. Fei enjoys mentoring undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and residents when they undertake research projects. Dr. Fei has served as a principal investigator for multiple NIH and DOD grants. He also severed in various panels including NIH and DOD study sections.
He serves as an Associate Editor for Medical Physics, an Editorial Board Member for Clinical Medicine - Urology, a program committee member for SPIE Medical Imaging, and a reviewer for more than 10 international journals in medical imaging.
Dr. Fei's awards and honors include:
- Distinguished Investigator Award, Academy of Radiology Research (ARR)
- The Outstanding Young Investigator Award, Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine
- The Emory 1% Award, Emory University School of Medicine
- Young Investigator Award, Computer and Instrumentation Council, Society of Nuclear Medicine
- Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Cancer Scholar, Georgia Cancer Coalition, Georgia, USA
- Presidential Research Initiative Award, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Postdoctoral Traineeship Award, Department of Defense (DOD), USA