Titles and Roles
- Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Research Program
- Discovery and Developmental Therapeutics
Bassel Nazha, MD, MPH, is assistant professor in the Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology at Emory University School of Medicine. Dr. Nazha joined the clinical staff at Winship Cancer Institute as a practicing physician in 2020. A board certified medical oncologist, he specializes in the treatment of genitourinary cancers.
Dr. Nazha is a member of the Discovery and Developmental Therapeutics Research Program at Winship.
Dr. Nazha received his MD from the American University of Beirut in Beirut, Lebanon. He completed a clinical fellowship in Hematology/Oncology at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia, where he was Chief Fellow in his final year. His postgraduate medical education also included residency training at Staten Island University Hospital - Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine in Staten Island, New York. Dr. Nazha received an MPH in Health Policy and Management from Columbia University in New York, New York.
Dr. Nazha's research area of interest is working on novel therapeutic agents and biomarker development in genitourinary oncology. He is particularly interested in systemic treatment modalities that allow achieving higher cure rates in the non-metastatic setting, as part of a perioperative approach (neoadjuvant and adjuvant). In parallel, he is focused on conducting outcomes research to elucidate treatment efficacy in real-world settings and on minority enrollment in cancer clinical trials.
Below is a listing of current federal grants for the above principal investigator.
Dr. Nazha has published a number of peer-reviewed original papers and reviews in leading scientific journals.
Publications Publication Date
Dr. Nazha's recent awards include:
- Winship Invest$ Pilot Grant Award, 2021
- Nell W. and William Simpson Elkin Fellowship, Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University, 2019
- Staten Island University Hospital Resident Physician Annual Research Award, 2016 – 2017
- Academy of Medicine of Richmond Best Original Research, 2017
- Academy of Medicine of Richmond Grand Prize Literature Review, 2016