Titles and Roles
- Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Research Program
- Cancer Prevention and Control
Sagar Patel, MD is a board certified radiation oncologist specializing in the treatment of genitourinary cancers, including prostate and bladder cancer. He specializes in advanced forms of radiation therapy, including brachytherapy and proton therapy. He sees patients at Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital and Emory Proton Therapy Center.
Dr. Patel is a member of the Cancer Prevention and Control Research Program at Winship Cancer Institute.
Dr. Patel graduated from Harvard Medical School and completed his residency at the Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, where he trained at Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. He completed fellowship training in brachytherapy with a focus on prostate brachytherapy at UCLA prior to joining the faculty at Emory.
During his residency, Dr. Patel completed the Program in Clinical Effectiveness with focus in biostatistics and clinical trial design at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. He is currently completing a Master of Science in Clinical Research at Emory University. His primary research interest focuses on predicting and mitigating toxicity from androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. He also interested in comparative outcomes between advanced techniques for prostate cancer, including brachytherapy, stereotactic body radiation therapy, and proton therapy.
Dr. Patel has authored many manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals. He is a reviewer for several high impact scientific journals, including International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, European Urology, Cancer, JAMA Oncology, and Brachytherapy.
Publications Publication Date
Dr. Patel’s recent awards include:
- Atlanta Magazine's "Top Doctors", 2023
- Castle Connolly Rising Star, 2022
- Prostate Cancer Foundation-Pfizer-Myovant Challenge Award, 2021
- NIH K12 Scholar, Paul Calabresi Career Development Award for Clinical Oncology, 2021
- Winship Invest$ Prostate Cancer Research Pilot Award, 2021
- Winship Invest$ Team Science Research Award, 2021
- Emory Healthcare Platinum Provider Award, 2021
- American Brachytherapy Society Prostate Brachytherapy Scholarship, 2018
- William Shipley Research Award, Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, 2016