In 2009, Dr. Roser was the first oral surgeon in Atlanta to use virtual surgery planning for free flap reconstruction following ablative surgery for oral cavity cancer.
Titles and Roles
- DeLos Hill Professor of Oral Surgery and Chief, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Research Program
- Discovery and Developmental Therapeutics
Steven M. Roser, DMD, MD, FACS, is Chief of the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the Department of Surgery at the Emory University School of Medicine. Dr. Roser also serves as the Section Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Emory University Midtown Hospital and Egleston Childrens Hospital. He is certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He was the George Guttmann Professor and Chief or Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Columbia University College of Dental Medicine and Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York before joining the faculty at Emory.
Dr. Roser serves on the Executive Committee of the International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. He is a member of Discovery and Developmental Therapeutics Research Program at Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University. He holds professional memberships with American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and American Academy of Craniomaxillofacial Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Roser earned his dental degree at Harvard School of Dental Medicine and his medical degree at Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts. He then completed an internship and residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Roser's research interests include the bony reconstruction of the maxillofacial region.
Dr. Roser serves as a reviewer for Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Journal of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology.
Publications Publication Date
Dr. Roser is the recipient of the following awards:
- Harvard Distinguished Alumni Award, 1990
- For Contribution to Field of Education, WM Harrigan Society, 1992
- American Dental Association Oversees Volunteer Award, 2003
- Presidential Citation, Republic of Ecuador, 2005
- William J. Gies Foundation Award for Distinguished Achievement in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2006
- Steven M. Roser Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Society formed at Columbia University College of Dentistry, 2006
- Humanitarian Award for Relief Efforts in Haiti, Fraternal Order of Police, Surgeon’s Lodge #3, 2010
- Maislin Award for Achievements in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, New York College of Dentistry, 2010
- Humanitarian Award, American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 2022
- Mentoring Award, Emory University School of Medicine, 2022