Titles and Roles
- Professor and Chairman, Department of Urology
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Research Program
- Cancer Prevention and Control
Martin G. Sanda, MD, is professor and chair of the Department of Urology at Emory University School of Medicine and serves as service chief of urology for Emory Healthcare. An internationally recognized prostate cancer surgeon and scientist, Dr. Sanda is an expert in robotic prostatectomy and robotic cystectomy. His clinical practice is focused on developing new surgical and non-surgical approaches to cancer care and to improving the quality of life among cancer survivors.
He joined Emory from Harvard Medical School, where he was Professor of Surgery in urology, and from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, where he served as director of the Prostate Cancer Center. He was also the co-leader of the Prostate Cancer Program at the Dana Farber Cancer Center.
He has served as chair of the Prostate and Genito-Urinary Collaborative Group of the National Cancer Institute's Early Detection Research Network (2007-2010), has spearheaded two nationwide, NCI Cooperative Group prostate cancer clinical trials, has served on numerous federal funding review panels, and has served on the Research Council of the American Urological Association since 2011.
Dr. Sanda received his Medical Degree from Columbia University. He trained as a general surgery resident at the Medical College of Virginia and as a surgical oncology fellow at the National Cancer Institute. He completed his urology residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Dr. Sanda is principal investigator of three multi-center consortium studies funded by the National Cancer Institute and the Prostate Cancer Foundation that seek to develop urine tests for detecting prostate cancer; to develop benchmarks for improving quality of life among cancer survivors; and to develop innovative prostate cancer vaccines. These studies have enrolled over 4,400 patients with findings published in leading medical journals including the Journal of the American Medical Association and the New England Journal of Medicine.
Below is a listing of current federal grants for the above principal investigator.
Dr. Sanda has more than 150 peer-reviewed publications, and his work has been cited more than 5,000 times in biomedical literature.
Publications Publication Date
Recent awards for Dr. Sanda include:
- Atlanta Magazine's "Top Doctors", 2015-2020
- MilliPub Club Award, Emory University School of Medicine, 2015, 2017, 2021
- J. Hartwell Harrison Memorial Resident Education Award, Harvard-Longwood Urology Residency, 2012
- Visiting Professor, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 2012
- Honorary Degree: Master of Arts, Harvard University, 2011
- Service Recognition Award for 3-year term as Chair, EDRN Prostate/GU Collaborative Group, National Cancer Institute, 2010
- Leadership Development for Physicians at Academic Health Centers (Select Course at Harvard School of Public Health), Nominated by Senior Leadership at BIDMC, 2010
- Best of Boston - Top Doctors (Urology), Boston Magazine, 2005-2012
- Society of Urological Oncology Young Investigator Award, Society of Urological Oncology, 2005