Titles and Roles
- Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Director, Head and Neck Oncology
- Atlanta VA Medical Center
- Research Program
- Cancer Prevention and Control
Merry E. Sebelik, MD, FACS, is Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology at Emory University School of Medicine. In addition, Dr. Sebelik manages head and neck surgical oncology patients at the Atlanta VA Medical Center, where she treats patients with thyroid and parathyroid tumors, upper aerodigestive tract tumors, and skin cancer of the head and neck.
Dr. Sebelik is a diplomate of the American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. She is also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, the American Head and Neck Society, and the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery.
Dr. Sebelik earned her medical degree from Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where she also served her residency in otolaryngology. She completed a fellowship in head and neck oncologic surgery at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.
Dr. Sebelik's research interests are in four main areas:
- Clinical: Quantification of national head and neck utilization/outcomes; novel applications of point-of-care ultrasound.
- Translational/Basic: High-frequency ultrasound, thyroid vascularity in the animal model.
- Surgical Education: Hand motion analysis; simulation-based learning; ultrasound performance competency.
- Global Health: Outcomes measures in low-resource surgery; point-of-care imaging in austere settings; goitrogenesis; incidence and management of head and neck cancer in low and middle income countries.
Publications Publication Date