Titles and Roles
- Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Research Program
- Cancer Cell Biology
Malathy Shanmugam, PhD, MS, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology at Emory School of Medicine. Dr. Shanmugam is a member of the Cancer Cell Biology Research Program at Winship Cancer Institute.
Dr. Shanmugam attended Madurai Kamaraj University in T. Nadu, India where she earned a MS in Biotechnology. She received her PhD in Tumor Cell Biology from Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago, Illinois. She completed her fellowship training at Northwestern University Medical School and at Loyola University of Chicago Medical Center.
The long-term objectives of Dr. Shanmugam's research are to 1) investigate the molecular and cellular basis and implications of enhanced glucose and glutamine utilization in multiple myeloma; 2) elucidate the molecular/cellular mechanisms contributing to apoptosis sensitivity following inhibition of glucose/glutamine metabolism; 3) investigate the effects of altered metabolism on sensitivity and resistance to standard myeloma chemo/immunotherapy and lastly; 4) explore how metabolic heterogeneity promotes lung cancer cell invasion.
Her lab's translational goal is to investigate cancer metabolism as a conduit to understanding cancer biology. They seek to identify targetable metabolic vulnerabilities to overcome therapy resistance and target cancer.
Publications Publication Date
Dr. Shanmugam has earned the following awards and honors:
- MilliPub Club, Emory University School of Medicine, 2015
- Best Abstract Platform Presentation, "Nucleosides, Nucleotides, & Oligonucleotides", Gordon Research Conference, Rhode Island, July 2009
- Postdoctoral NRSA Fellowship: NIH Training Grant-T32 A107508, Experimental Immunology, 2001-2004
- Gramm Travel Fellowship Award, Lurie Cancer Center, Northwestern University Medical School, 1997
- Northwestern University Representative, Dept. of Defense Breast Cancer Research Meeting, Washington, DC, 1997