Titles and Roles
- Assistant Professor, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Reconstructive Surgeon
- Breast Cancer
Peter W. Thompson, MD, is Assistant Professor in the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Department of Surgery at Emory University School of Medicine. A board certified surgeon, Dr. Thompson specializes in breast surgery, breast reconstruction, body contouring and general reconstructive plastic surgery.
He holds professional memberships with American College of Surgeons, Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, American Society of Plastic Surgery and American Medical Association.
Dr. Thompson received his Medical Degree from University of Virginia School of Medicine in Charlottesville, Virginia. During his general surgery residency and plastic surgery residency at Emory University School of Medicine, he was formally recognized for his professionalism and dedication to patients. His unique background includes completion of a two-year research fellowship in transplant immunology, which yielded his receipt of several awards for his work dealing with pancreatic islet transplantation as a treatment for diabetes.
Dr. Thompson's primary research interest is in the areas of breast cancer reconstruction outcomes and quality improvement in plastic surgery.
Dr. Thompson is published in multiple peer-reviewed journals.
Publications Publication Date
Dr. Thompson has received the following awards and honors:
- Douglas A. Murray Award for Professionalism in Surgery, Emory, 2014
- The Transplantation Society/International Pancreas and Islet Transplantation Association Travel Grant, 2011
- Young Investigator Award, American Society of Transplantation/American Society of Transplant Surgeons, 2011