Titles and Roles
- Associate Professor
- Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing, Emory University
- Research Program
- Cancer Prevention and Control
Canhua Xiao, PhD, RN, FAAN is Associate Professor in Office of Academic Advancement at Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing, Emory University.
Dr. Xiao is a member of the Cancer Prevention and Control research program at Winship Cancer Institute. In 2018, she was named Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing.
Dr. Xiao received her PhD from University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing in Philadelphia, PA.
Dr. Xiao's general research interests focus on patient-reported outcomes, cancer-related symptoms/symptom clusters, and cancer related fatigue and its biological mechanisms. Her research has contributed to the understanding of symptom clusters and fatigue in patients with head and neck cancer. This disease has seen increasing incidence in the U.S. due to the prevalence of Human Papillomavirus.
Dr. Xiao has co-authored more than 40 manuscripts. Her work has been published in the fields of cancer, psychoneuroimmunology, and nursing journals including the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Cancer, Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics, and Cancer Nursing. She is also an active peer reviewers for many of these journals.
Publications Publication Date
Dr. Xiao is the recipient of the following awards:
- Young Investigator Award, Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC), 2018
- Young Investigator Award, International Society of Oral Oncology (ISOO), 2018
- Friends of the National Institute of Nursing Research's Protegee Award, 2017
- Victor Mock New Investigator Award from the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS), 2016
- Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing Emerging Scholars Program, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, 2013
- ONS Foundation/ONS Connections Conference Scholarship, 2012