About Radiation Therapy
Radiation is a type of treatment that is used to shrink tumors and stop the growth of cancer cells.
High energy x-rays are aimed directly at cancerous cells or tumors. The technique is so effective in treating certain types of cancer that nearly two-thirds of patients will receive radiation therapy, according to the American Society for Radiation Oncology.
There are two main types of radiation therapy:
- External beam radiation uses specialized machines to administer a high dose of radiation directly to the cancer site.
- Internal radiation, or brachytherapy, involves radioactive material that is implanted in the body at the tumor site.
Radiation can be used as a stand-alone treatment, and often it is the only treatment needed. Radiation is also used in combination with surgery, chemotherapy and other targeted therapies. For example, doctors can use radiation before surgery to shrink a tumor or after surgery to stop the growth of remaining cancer cells.
In order to offer highly individualized treatment for our patients, we provide advanced radiotherapy techniques and equipment including:
- Proton therapy
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery
- External bean radiation therapy
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy
- Total body irradiation
- Total skin electron beam therapy
- CT Simulation
Convenient Access to Care
As a patient, you have access to multidisciplinary teams working together at various convenient locations in metro Atlanta. We offer radiation treatment:
- Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University (Clifton campus)
- Winship at Emory University Hospital Midtown
- Winship at Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital
- Emory Proton Therapy Center
- Emory Decatur Hospital
- Emory Hillandale Hospital
In addition, our physicians and clinical teams also care for patients with cancer at:
- Georgia Cancer Center for Excellence at Grady
- Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Request an Appointment
The Emory Proton Therapy Center in midtown Atlanta offers the world's most advanced radiation technologies and treatments for patients with the expertise of renowned specialists from Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University.