Getting involved with a support group will help you and your loved ones deal with the challenges of a cancer diagnosis and cancer treatment. Advantages of participating in a support group include:
- Connecting you to others when you feel isolated.
- Giving you support during especially difficult times.
- Providing information and coping skills.
- Giving you ways to feel less helpless yourself, and help others.
- Getting tips that only other cancer survivors can provide.
- Giving you a chance to share powerful emotions.
A national survey of The Wellness Community support group participants revealed:
- 88% feel less alone
- 87% are happier because they are in a group
- 83% believe they have improved
- 82% gain hope
- 75% strengthened their will to live
- 72% believe the relationship with their loved one(s) was helped
To participate in a support group, or to learn more, contact our social services team at (404) 778-1900. Programs are open to patients, caregivers, family members and friends at no charge unless otherwise noted.
The Winship Peer Partners program is peer-to-peer support program. The Peer Partners program matches cancer survivors and caregivers with cancer patients and caregivers dealing with a similar diagnosis of cancer, pre-cancerous condition, or benign tumor.