HHMI, Gates, Simons Faculty Scholars Program
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Simons Foundation have joined forces with Howard Hughes Medical Institute to support the Faculty Scholars program. Through this first-time collaboration, the program partners will augment and secure the pipeline of scientific talent.
The Faculty Scholars program seeks to:
- Provide financial support to faculty at an early career stage
- Select awardees based on their vision and potential for unique contributions
- Offer mentoring and career development
It is anticipated that up to 70 five-year awards will be made available, with new competitions every two and a half years. The awards will range from $100,000 to $400,000 per year based on several factors, including awardee's current external grant support. Expenses covered by the grant include:
- Partial salary for faculty (up to 3 months and no more than $70,000)
- Salary for lab personnel
Application Deadline: July 28, 2015, 3 PMView Award Details
Department of Defense Horizon Award
The FY15 Defense Appropriations Act provides $50 million to the Department of Defense Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program (PRCRP) to support innovative, high-impact cancer research.
- PI: Both predoctoral candidates and postdoctoral fellows are eligible.
- Mentor: The Mentor must be an experienced cancer researcher as demonstrated by a strong record of funding and publications. In addition, the Mentor must demonstrate a commitment to advancing the PI’s career in cancer research.
- The PI and the Mentor must be at the same organization
- Letter of Intent is required.
- Supports junior level scientists to conduct impactful research with the mentorship of an experienced cancer researcher (i.e., Mentor)
- Challenges junior scientists to develop and implement research in the cancer field
- Emphasis on discovery
- Must address at least one of the FY15 PRCRP Topic Areas (refer to award details)
- Encouraged to address at least one of the FY15 PRCRP Military Relevance Focus Areas (refer to award details)
- Preliminary data are not required
- Clinical trials are not allowed
- Maximum funding for the entire period of performance is $75,000 for direct costs (plus indirect costs)
- Maximum period of performance is 1 year
Letter of Intent Deadline: August 11, 2015
Contact: CDMRP Help Desk