Treating close to 1,000 hematological patients a year, our experts draw on Emory’s vast resources in hematology, pathology and bone marrow transplantation, to provide the newest, most effective practices and treatments for benign hematological disorders. As specialists, our teams develop groundbreaking treatments that produce better outcomes and are adopted by other leading hematology programs.
The benefits of our multidisciplinary and highly experienced teams include:
- Access to physicians who rank among the top hematological experts in the world.
- Weekly review of patient cases by the full team of experts.
- Coordinated scheduling for appointments among various specialties.
- Access to Winship's Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant Program, the largest and oldest program in Georgia.
- Access to a nurse navigator to assist you throughout the treatment process.
- Access to support groups and education classes for you and your caregivers.
- Availability of new treatment options within our clinical trials program.
A complete staging workup may include a physical exam, blood work, imaging tests, bone marrow biopsy, and for Sickle Cell Disease patients, a hemoglobin electrophoresis. For patients with biopsies performed at outside facilities, the tissue samples are re-evaluated by Winship hematopathologists to confirm the diagnosis.
Our hematology program offer services at progressive clinical practices at the Winship Cancer Institute (Clifton Campus), Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital, Emory University Midtown Hospital and Grady Memorial Hospital.
The most common blood disorders we treat at our clinics include:
- Thrombotic disorders, including deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
- Bleeding disorders, including hemophilia and von Willebrand's disease.
- Antiphospholipid syndrome and reproductive coagulopathies.
- Anemia and disorders of red blood cells.
- Sickle cell disease and thalassemia.
- Disorders of white blood cells, including leukopenia and leukocytosis.
- Platelet disorders, including thrombocytopenia and thrombocytosis.
Your Treatment Team
- Physician Diagnosticians
- Nurse Navigators
- Adv Practice
- Support Services
- Clinical Trials
- Dr. Thirunavu specializes in the treatment of a wide range of oncologic and hematologic disorders with particular interest in breast cancer, lymphomas, cancer genetics and coagulation disorders.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine
- (404) 778-1900