You can change a patient's emotional outlook, give hope to a family, or simply provide a helping hand so that our staff can focus on the patient's care and treatment. Current volunteer opportunities are available at the following locations: Winship Cancer Institute (Clifton Road campus), Emory University Hospital Midtown, Emory Proton Therapy Center, Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital, and Emory Clinic at Buford.
Volunteer opportunities are available in the areas of Ambulatory Infusion Center, Bone Marrow Transplant/Hematology, Medical Oncology, Patient & Family Resource Center, Radiation Oncology, Radiology, and the welcome/concierge desks.
Volunteer roles include:
- Hospitality Cart
- Welcome Desk/Concierge
- Front Desk
Do you sing or play a musical instrument? Volunteer to share your talent as a group or individual with the patients, family members and caregivers at Winship.
(Additional volunteer requirements apply to this opportunity. Please contact Volunteer Services for more information.)
Volunteers who have worked at Winship say the greatest benefit they receive is their own sense of accomplishment and personal satisfaction. At Winship, we recognize our volunteers' time, talents and dedication with the following:
- Free parking at Winship Cancer Institute while performing volunteer work
- Use of the Patient and Family Resource Center
- Copy of the Winship Volunteer Quarterly Newsletter
- Invitation to the biannual Volunteer Recognition Awards event (December & April)
- Career and education letters of reference after a minimum of six months of service
- Immunizations from Emory Employee Health. All volunteers are required to receive a seasonal flu shot during the months of September – March. In addition all volunteers will be required to take an annual TB test.
- Volunteer uniform to be worn during your volunteer shift. NOTE: A $25 uniform payment is required by each volunteer.
In order to volunteer at Winship Cancer Institute, volunteers must meet the following prerequisites:
- Commit to fulfilling a 6 month period of volunteer service with a minimum of 8 hours per month (the equivalent of two 4 hour shifts per month).
- 18 years of age or older
- Provide proof of up to date vaccinations, and if applicable, complete and pass a TB test
- Receive the flu vaccine from Emory Employee Health (September – March)
- Complete and pass a criminal background check
- Complete and pass the online volunteer assessment
- Complete a volunteer interview
Cancer Survivors and Caregivers
In addition to the above requirements, volunteers who are cancer survivors are required to have been out of treatment for at least 6 months prior to volunteering. Additionally, volunteers who have had a family member recently pass away from cancer will need to delay volunteering for at least 12 months.
To get started, make sure you:
Step 1: Review the volunteer benefits listed above.
Step 2: Review the volunteer requirements listed above.
Step 3: Review the Online Volunteer Manual (PDF).
Step 4: Complete the Online Volunteer Assessment. You must achieve a score of 80
or higher on the Online Assessment to be eligible to volunteer.