They work in partnership with Winship's leadership, staff, and physicians by participating on committees, focus groups, project teams, and other dedicated groups.
Our Winship Patient & Family Advisors currently serve at Winship Cancer Institute (Clifton campus) and Emory University Hospital Midtown with programs being developed at Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital and Emory Johns Creek Hospital.
As a patient and family centered care facility aimed at collaborating with members of the care team, Winship and Emory Healthcare embraces the following core principles:
- Dignity and Respect. Honoring patient and family perspectives and choices and incorporating their knowledge, values, beliefs and cultural backgrounds into the planning and delivery of care.
- Information Sharing. Health care practitioners communicate and share complete and unbiased information with patients and families in a timely manner, enabling them to effectively participate in care and decision-making.
- Participation. Patients and families are encouraged and supported in participating in care and decision-making at the level they choose.
- Collaboration. Patients, families, health care practitioners, and health care leaders collaborate in policy and program development, implementation and evaluation; in health care facility design; and in professional education, as well as in the delivery of care.
What to Expect as a Patient & Family Advisor
From policy review, development, and implementation to facility design to quality improvement of patient care, our Patient & Family Advisors (PFA) help us enrich the care experience for patients and families by providing their experiences, perspectives, and expectations to the decision-making process while making the job of providing care an even more positive experience for our staff.
Examples of Winship PFA participation and activities:
- Quality, program, and facility improvement projects
- Department specific advisory councils
- Patient satisfaction committees
- Providing the patient and family perspective at new employee and physician orientations
- Sharing insights and stories on video for internal training purposes
- Policy review and development
- Assist with new PFA interviews
- Creating new Emory Healthcare patient education and resources e.g. brochures/booklets, etc.
Turn your patient, family, or medical experience into a volunteer opportunity to help others by serving as a Winship Patient & Family Advisor. Join us or contact us for more information, email Volunteer Services.
Download and print the Winship Patient & Family Advisors application and a more detailed description of the role from the buttons below.